What is Paramedical?
What is Paramedical ?
Paramedical is the study of healthcare services which helps the aspiring candidates in becoming a successful Paramedic. By joining the Paramedical college a student can gain all the required knowledge and learn all the skills which are necessary in this field. The Paramedic works under the guidance of doctors and perform, analyse, preserve samples of tests. A paramedic takes care of patients, provides them with emergency services and also manages the hospital work.
After successful completion of course there is a very good career growth in the healthcare sector. He/she can apply for jobs in Hospitals, Pathology Labs, Clinics, Medical Emergency Department, Ambulance and many more.
There are different types of courses in Paramedical. Some of the courses are :
(a) Medical Lab Technology : Medical Lab Technology is a program which will make you capable of providing the health care services. A medical lab technology professional is supposed to perform all body fluid tests, generating and analysing their reports and maintaining the reports for future references. The role of MLT professional is very important because his reports helps the doctors in detecting and treating the diseases. A medical lab technologist can provide his services in hospitals, pathology labs, clinics, research centers etc.
(b) Patient Care Management : A professional in Patient Care Management is responsible to improve the conditions of patient care while considering his health conditions.
(c) Emergency Medical Technician : Emergency Medical Technician provides the pre hospital emergency medical services. They are specialized to respond quickly in panic situations and provide services during medical issues, accidents, injuries, etc. He can apply for jobs in emergency departments of the hospital, ambulance etc.
(d) General Duty Assistant : Individuals who provide patient care in hospitals and maintains a positive environment for patients are called as General Duty Assistant. The main duty of a General Duty Assistant is taking care of the patient like helping in eating food, changing clothes, helping patients during walking etc.
(e) Medical Imaging Technology : It is the process or technique which is used in hospitals to create the images of the human body or some specific parts of the human body for medical purposes like examining and diagnosing the disease. Medical imaging is necessary for tracking of ongoing illness. MRI's and CT scans helps the physician to monitor it. The detailed information generated by medical imaging provides patients with better and good care.
What skills are demanded by industry from students ?
Other than educational qualifications and course related knowledge, the student must have the following skills :
- Communication Skills
- Good Personality
- Can handle work smoothly
- Personal Grooming
- General Aptitude
Course you can choose in Paramedical ?
Paramedical courses has opened up a different platform for students. Some of the courses of paramedical are offered to all stream students and for some courses science subjects in 12th standard are mandatory.
A student has different options and he/she must explore them all before taking the admission. After the introduction of Bachelor of Vocation (B. VOC.) courses by UGC in 2011 a totally different option has been opened up for students, so let's check about these :
1. If you want to study traditional Paramedical Degree Program: In India, different states have their own eligibility tests and criteria, so the candidate can go for the one which is more suitable for him, but most of the times candidate gets confused about the different courses offered by different states of India. Also the fee structure, methods of teaching, practicals, training etc changes from state to state. So a student who has just passed the 12th standard, it becomes difficult for him to decide what will be the best option for him.
2. If you want to gain more practical Experience as well as Earn while you Learn : B.Voc degree from Tata Institute of Social Sciences - School of Vocational Education is the best option for students these days. It is a work integrated degree program, which provides a totally different platform to students to gain knowledge and skills.
The fee structure of this program is affordable. TISS-SVE takes approximately INR 40,000 to 50,000/- per year.
The best part of the program is that, it gives students a chance to earn while they learn. This helps students in paying their own fees.
B.Voc degree program focuses more on practical training of students. In this program, student gets enrolled in training from the first year and after completion of degree student gets experience also. This experience will take a student ahead in comparison to those students are under traditional degree program.
TATA INSTITUTE of SOCIAL SCIENCE is a NAAC A+ Graded and Govt of India funded Institution. In December 2011, Tata Institute of Social Sciences set up the School of Vocational Education (SVE) to provide immediate and definite interventions to improve the skill levels of millions of youth, through appropriate vocational training programs
Difference between TISS-SVE Degree & other states degree programs :
A. TISS-SVE B.Voc in Paramedical
- It is a work integrated degree program. In this program a student study and work/get training at the same time. For this training he also get paid a stipend.
- It gives you earn while you learn platform which will make you financially independent
- You will get a chance to work with big hospitals, pathology labs, clinics etc from the start of your degree and it will help you in getting more practical and industry knowledge
- This program will enhance your skills.
- You will get work experience along with degree, this will boost up your career growth in comparison to freshers.
B. Other States Paramedical Courses
- It is a traditional degree program. In this a student will complete his whole program in college only and as per the curriculum will go for 4-6 months of training only.
- Very less industry exposure for a student.
- Students can gain more theoretical knowledge as they spend more time on campus classes.
- After completion of course student has to apply as a fresher.
Procedure of Taking Admission :
So how can you take admission:
There are different state level tests which a student can give to get admission. B.Sc in Paramedical is the degree program which is opted by students. In this a student has to select a particular field of study like B.Sc in Medical Lab Technology, B.Sc in Patient care etc. But different states have different entrance exams which creates confusion among students.2. B.Voc Degree:
- Unlike other entrance exams, TISS-SVE don’t follow any difficult procedure to give admissions to students. To take admission in TISS is very easy. You have to appear for a general interview at the training hub partner and after selection you will get admission.
- Immediately after the starting of the degree the student joins the hospitals, pathlabs and his training starts. The practical training approach of this program is the key highlight of this program. Also you can earn during the time of training which helps in paying the fees.
Diploma courses are short in duration in comparison to degree courses. The duration could be 1-2 years for a diploma course. One of the best diplomas offered in Paramedical is Diploma in Medical Lab Technology approved from Indian Medical Association, IMA recognized by Govt NCT of Delhi.
You can join this diploma in Cradle Institute of Paramedical Sciences, Delhi. The duration is 2 years and the fee is affordable.4. Skill Development Courses:
These are the courses which are offered by Healthcare Sector Skill Council, HSSC and the duration of these courses is short term. In this you can opt for the courses like General Duty Assistant, Emergency Medical Technician etc. The duration will be 6-12 months, depending on the course. Skill development courses help you in gaining the industry specific knowledge in a short period of time.